In the absence of direct authority, what challenges does a project manager face when trying to influence the behavior of team members?
- Developing active commitment and accountability among team members without coercive obedience or compliance
- Building trust and persuasion in a project team to gain power
- Using personal authority and networking to negotiate resources
How can a project manager gain the authority required to achieve these goals?
- Use the power of superior knowledge and information about the project
- Understand the power and authority structure in the organization and use it to the team’s advantage
- Build positive relationships and networks with stakeholders
- Build cooperation and align team effort through mutual trust and credibility
- Create self-managed teams for less managing and more accountability